Monday, June 22, 2009

BEAUREGARD FARM

I paid a visit to my friend Terry at Beauregard Farm today. The name, Beauregard, is in memory of her son Beau who passed away six years ago this July. She is selling her beautiful little farm and moving to Maine so, while she waits for a buyer, she offered some of the herbs and incredible plants she grows so that I could transplant them in my gardens. She told me to come early as she is always up at the "crack of dawn" however she had forgotten that she was having a little party yesterday and so the dawns crack was visible before Terry's was today. I, on the other hand, woke at an uncharacteristic 6:00 giddy with excitement over the treasures I was going to find, waited an hour and called Terry. "Come on over!" I grabbed shovel, spade and boxes and off I went. What a glorious place! Life everywhere including dogs and peacocks, bees and butterflies, toads and worms and OH! the plants. Many I was familiar with and many more I was not. Terry pointed often..."how about some of this?" OK. Sure...why not?

It occurs to me as I watch Terry bend and pull and dig that six years ago she made a choice. She could have buried her pain but instead buried roots and her tribute to her son is breathtaking. After two hours, I drove back home with a pick up truck full of plants. I planted the thyme and tarragon immediately and will wait until dusk to plant the rest (heat indeces over 100 today). As I look at the plants that grow throughout my acre, I remember where I got most of them, who gifted them and for the most part even the days I planted them. Today I brought home a piece of Beauregard and for years to come these plants, these herbs, these glourious colors will remind me of Terry and of course, Beau. Thanks Terry, our loss is Maine's gain!

1 comment:

  1. Can I tell you something? This is incredibly kind and has very definately made my day. Thank you. My heart has gone out of this farm almost, to have you come and share, to listen, to wonder...my heart swelled big time again. I truly feel better because you came and I was a bit teacher...a purpose greater than myself and my moving, to give unto another the gifts, anyway- thank you for inspiring me to be the farmer I love being. You are lovely dear, take care-

    ReplyDelete